What is the Amazon Affiliate program?
The Amazon Affiliate program, or Amazon Associates, is an affiliate marketing program. It’s free for website owners and bloggers to become Amazon Associates. They advertise products from Amazon.com on their sites by creating links. When customers click the links and buy products from Amazon, they earn referral fees.
Still not sure what affiliate marketing is or what it’s all about? Or unsure whether it’s right for you?
What is affiliate marketing?
Affiliate marketing is a marketing tactic where an online retailer gives niche website owners the ability to create unique product links (called affiliate links). The website owners must promote the link; in exchange, when someone visits the link and makes a purchase, the website owner automatically receives a commission. As an affiliate, you only make money once the link is used in a transaction.
Affiliate marketing is right for you if you already own a website or blog and your content offers opportunities for product mentions. For instance, if you own a recipe blog, you can create links for product ingredients.
It’s not the best fit for you if you sell products directly on your website, although you can use a mixture of product selling and affiliate selling to earn money.
How does the Amazon Affiliate program work?
In the Amazon Affiliate program, associates earn commission by creating unique product links, promoting the links on their website, and driving referral traffic back to Amazon. Here’s how it works:
- Website owners create an Amazon Affiliate account on the platform.
- Amazon gives each website owner a unique Associate ID.
- Once the application has been approved, associates can begin creating affiliate links in their Amazon portal.
- Associates then place the links in blog posts or other parts of their website.
- Once someone clicks the link and makes a purchase, the associate earns a commission.
How much does the Amazon Affiliate program pay?
You can earn, on average, from $100 to $20,000 from the Amazon Affiliate program, depending on how many referrals you generate for Amazon. The Amazon Affiliate program operates on a commission basis, meaning you’ll make a percentage per sale.
The commission rate differs depending on the product category. For instance, if you run an automotive blog, you can earn 4.50% from each sale. If you sell three car parts at $1,000 each in one day, you’d make $135 from those three transactions. If you sell the same product 30 times per month, you’d make $1,350 every month.
In the beginning of your Amazon Associate journey, the numbers can skew on the low side, so be sure to have another form of income in addition to being an Amazon Associate.
Amazon Affiliate Program Rules and Requirements?
Being an Amazon Associate is a great way to monetize passion projects or make supplemental income from your brand. However, Amazon has guidelines for associates to follow, so it’s best to understand those before you dive in. Noncompliance may result in being banned from the program.
The majority of the rules are in place for ethical promotion as well as preventing associates from gaming the system. Here are some of the big ones to keep in mind:
- You must disclose on your site or in your communication that you may be eligible to earn from your recommendations.
- You must not make false or deceptive claims in your recommendations.
- Avoid referring to prices (with some exceptions) since prices frequently change.
- Do not use Amazon affiliate links in offline promotions, eBooks, or email.
- Do not use link shorteners on affiliate links.
How to Become an Amazon Affiliate?
- Create a website or blog.
- Navigate to the Amazon Associates homepage and click “Sign Up.”
- Enter your account information.
- Enter your website address.
- Enter your preferred store ID.
- Explain how you drive traffic to your site.
- Choose your payment method.
- Create Amazon Affiliate links.
1. Create a website or blog.
To become an Amazon Associate, you must have an active website, blog, app, or YouTube channel. It’s also helpful if you’ve pre-populated that site with content, so it appears active and authentic to both users and Amazon.
Remember, you must be able to describe the purpose of your website as part of the application process. So, have a firm idea of why you’re creating your site, the audience you’ll target, and how you’ll bring in traffic.
2. Navigate to the Amazon Associates homepage and click “Sign Up.”
In order to become an Amazon affiliate, you’ll need to create your Amazon Associates account. To do that, visit the Amazon Associates homepage and click Sign Up. From there, you’ll be prompted to log in to your existing Amazon account or create one.
3. Enter your account information.
Enter your account info (including the name, address, and phone number of the payee).
4. Enter your website address.
Enter your website address(es), apps, YouTube channels, etc.
5. Enter your preferred store ID.
Enter your preferred store ID (usually the same as your primary website name), explain what your websites hope to accomplish, and select Amazon topics your links will likely target.
6. Explain how you drive traffic to your site.
Explain how you drive traffic to your websites, how you use your website or apps to generate income, how you usually build links, and how many visitors your site brings in each month.
7. Choose your payment method.
Choose whether to enter your payment (credit card) and tax ID information now or later. Then proceed to your dashboard.
8. Create Amazon Affiliate links.
Once you’ve created your account, you’ll be sent to your personal Associate homepage. This is where you’ll find your performance dashboard (including an earnings overview, monthly summary, and total clicks).
This dashboard is also where you’ll search for relevant products to link to from your content. Here’s how:
How to Create an Amazon Affiliate Link?
- Log in to your Amazon Associate account.
- Click on Product Linking in the top banner and select Product Links.
- Add the ASIN of the product OR search Amazon for the product in the bar they provide.
- Click the Go button.
- Click the Get Link button on the right side of the result.
- Alternatively, you can use the Amazon Associates Sitestripe to generate Amazon Affiliate links directly from the product page.
- Use the generated link on your site or other promotional materials according to Amazon’s standards.